city at night

city at night

Sunday, October 4, 2020

The North Coast

People in New York City live on the East Coast and people in Los Angeles live on the West Coast.   We, here in Cleveland, Ohio, refer to our Lake Erie shoreline as the North Coast.

On Thursday afternoon, after my new garage door was installed, I decided to go on another one of my excursions, and I drove to Edgewater Park along Cleveland's lakeshore.  The weather forecast said that it was not going to rain until evening, but on my way to the park it started to pour.  However, toward the lake I could still see blue skies, so I continued on my way.  By the time I arrived at the park the rain had stopped, but it was cloudy with occasional intervals of sun.

I parked my car in the parking lot at the western end of Edgewater Park.  From there in one direction I could look down on a small stretch of sand known as Perkins Beach.  


Perkins Beach is known as a place where you can find beach glass, small shards of glass or pottery that have been smoothed and rounded by the tumbling action of the waves.  Some people use it to make jewelry.

Looking to the east from the parking lot there is a view of the skyline of downtown Cleveland.



Walking eastward through the park I soon came to this statue of the German composer Richard Wagner.  It was commissioned in 1911 by the Goethe-Schiller society, an organization of German immigrants.



Just beyond that is one of the six "Cleveland" script signs that have been placed in photogenic spots throughout the Cleveland area.


(If you read my previous post about the Cleveland Orchestra video, you saw another one of these signs which is located at Euclid Beach Park on the opposite side of the city.)

Some more views of the Cleveland skyline as I walk through the park...





And looking northward across Lake Erie...



I reached Edgewater Beach.  It's no Cancún, but it's a very popular spot on a hot summer day.  On this brisk autumn afternoon, there were more seagulls than people on the beach.




Looking to the west from here, you can see the "Gold Coast", a stretch of high-rise condos along the shore in the neighboring suburb of Lakewood.




It then started to lightly rain again.  Fortunately I had brought my umbrella with me, but it was time to end my visit to Edgewater Park and head back to the car.



No comments:

Post a Comment