city at night

city at night

Wednesday, October 14, 2020

Oh, To Be in Mexico Again

 


I am feeling a bit sad today.  If this had been a normal year, as I write this I would have been on a plane heading south.  By late this afternoon I would have been in Mexico City.  Alejandro would have come to the airport, taken me back to his house, and I would have spent a few days with him and his family.  Then I would have gone to the apartment that I rent and spent a month in that fascinating city... a city so rich in history, art and great cuisine, that no matter how many times I return, I always find new experiences.  Perhaps on the weekends Alejandro and I would have taken some excursions outside of the city.  And of course this is the time of year when Mexico celebrates the Day of the Dead.   The big parades (with the exception of the delightful "alebrije" parade) now attract such an enormous crush of people that they are no longer fun.  However the "ofrendas" (large altars in honor of the dead) that are set up throughout the city, the whimsical "catrina" images, and the delicious "Bread of the Dead" that is sold in every bakery still make this a wonderful time to be in Mexico City.  Of course this year Day of the Dead will be a much more somber occasion, and there will be no parades.  Many families will be remembering loved ones who have passed away in the last few months.

I will be here in Ohio as the days grow shorter and chillier and we perhaps  have our first taste of winter.  Usually these last few weeks would have been hectic as I clear out all the flower beds before my departure, even though we have not yet had our first frost.  Instead I am less than half way through that chore.  Since travel is out of the question, sunny autumn days are beckoning me to take long walks instead and to visit places here in the area.  I have the rest of the month to finish with the garden. 

And I ponder, when will I feel safe to return to my home away from home?  

No comments:

Post a Comment