from airplane

from airplane

Friday, October 2, 2020

A New Door

Earlier this week I wrote that my garage door was broken and could not be opened.   After contacting a couple of garage door repair services, someone finally came out on Tuesday to assess the damage.  The guy asked, "This door is as old as you are, isn't it?"  Yes, it is the original door of my house which was built in 1952.  He said that parts for that door are no longer made.  In fact, these old doors are potentially dangerous.  If one of the springs snaps it can inflict serious damage to whatever or whoever is in the garage at the time.  Converting the door to newer hardware would be tricky, and he suggested a installing a whole new door.  I suspect that he was hoping to make a bigger sale, but the door was sixty eight years old.  I agreed.  Another problem was that the only doors in stock were white doors.  For a colored door I would probably have to wait at least a couple weeks.  I thought that a white door with a white house would be too much white, that a contrasting color would look better.  But I wanted to get this job done soon, and get my car back into the garage.  He said that the door could probably be installed on Thursday.

As soon as he left I was already starting to feel buyer's remorse.  Although this small, independent company had good reviews, I worried that I might have fallen for a fly-by-night business.  My fears were allayed however when the workmen arrived right on time on Thursday morning.  The older man and his son were extremely professional and knew their trade.  Within three hours the job was complete.

And that white door is growing on me... the more I look at it, the more I like it!

  


 

No comments:

Post a Comment