city at night

city at night

Friday, October 30, 2020

A New Record

 


If you look at the "Blog Archive" in the right hand margin of this page, you will see listed all the posts that I have written this month, as well as the number of posts that were written in each month of 2020 and the number of entries written in each of the seven previous years that I have kept this blog.

Last year I had a record number of posts... 325.  The last few years, when I am traveling, I have been frequently writing two entries each day.   There is always so much to write about when visiting another country... the day's sightseeing, the restaurants where I have eaten, handicrafts that I have purchased, street performers, and a myriad of other little things that capture my attention when I am traveling. 

When I am staying at the apartment I rent in Mexico City, the first thing I do when I get up in the morning is turn on the laptop and write about something from the previous day.  Then I shower and dress, and have breakfast either at the apartment or at a nearby restaurant.  By that time it is 10:00 AM, rush hour has passed, and I can get on the Metrobus or subway to do my day's exploration in the city.  By late afternoon I return to the apartment, and I write another entry about my day's experiences.  Some days there is so much to write about that by the end of the week I have a backlog of a few posts waiting to be published.  On the weekends Alejandro and I are usually sightseeing in or outside of the city, and I don't have time to write on the blog.  Then I can simply go to an entry that I had already written and click on publish.  

Of course the situation changes when I return home.  Life is much more mundane and sometimes several days go by without writing anything.  

At the start of 2020 the blog continued at its usual pace while I spent most of January and February in Mexico.  Then not long after returning home this cursed pandemic began.  Travel plans were put on hold.  I thought that my blog would languish until I could once again feel safe boarding a plane.  But much to my surprise I have been writing daily... even occasionally publishing two posts per day.  Unable to travel, I have been visiting local parks, walking hiking trails and exploring neighborhoods.  Many of these excursions have been to nearby places that I had never seen before.  There were posts about my cooking experiments, gardening, home renovations, and sometimes I would let off steam with political rants.  

When I click on publish for this post, I will have reached a new record... 326 entries in 2020.  And we still have two months to go! 

No comments:

Post a Comment