city at night

city at night

Tuesday, October 29, 2019

The Big Procession

Although Alejandro could not join me because of his father's illness, last Saturday evening I went to watch the "Mega-Procesión de las Catrinas".  If you have read about Day of the Dead here or elsewhere, you probably know that a "catrina" is an elegantly dressed skeleton, an iconic symbol of the celebration. Actually I suppose the event should more correctly be called the "Mega-Procesión de los Catrines" since both women and men participate in this parade.  ("catrina" - feminine  "catrín" - masculine  "catrines" - plural, mixed company)  Hundreds of people, dressed as stylish skeletons, march down Mexico City's Paseo de la Reforma.

I took the Metrobus from my apartment to the Paseo de la Reforma.  The boulevard was busy with people coming for the event, and, of course, where there are people, there will be vendors.

Many were selling Day of the Dead related merchandise.


Crowns of paper or plastic flowers are popular with the ladies.





I would have loved to have bought one of these large "catrinas", but they were just too bulky to carry around for the rest of the evening.

There were plenty of food vendors providing snacks for those waiting for the parade.  They were selling cotton candy, popcorn, ice cream, even roasted grasshoppers.  Yum!




I found a good spot along the boulevard near the traffic circle called, for obvious reasons, "La Palma".


More than an hour before the scheduled start of the procession, the boulevard was crammed with eager spectators.



There were some in full regalia who weren't waiting to to be a part of the procession.  They were walking down the boulevard and posing for pictures.






After a long wait, the procession was under way.
















Unfortunately, part way into the procession it began to drizzle, and then the drizzle turned into a steady rain.  Fortunately I had a waterproof jacket with me.  The procession continued in the rain, but I left and returned to the apartment.

4 comments:

  1. I read that there was an estimated 2.6 MILLION people watching this parade and participating. Golly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Was that for Saturday's Procession of the Catrinas, or Sunday's International Day of the Dead Parade? I will be posting pictures of the second event perhaps tomorrow.

      Delete
  2. How fun! I hope to get a SMALL Catrina for my Christmas tree.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even though Day of the Dead will be over, the handicraft markets have a lot of Day of the Dead merchandise all year long. We'll see what we can find.

      Delete