city at night

city at night

Sunday, July 19, 2020

My Version of "Molletes"

"Molletes" are a simple, inexpensive Mexican snack that can be eaten any time of day.  They are a sort of open-faced sandwich made with "bolillos" (the typical, crusty rolls) cut in half lengthwise.  The toppings can vary, but they always include refried beans, "chile" peppers and cheese.  The "molletes" then are placed in the oven until the cheese melts.

Yesterday, I created my own version of this traditional Mexican dish.  Instead of "bolillos" (which would have required a trip to the Mexican grocery store in Cleveland) I used English muffins.  I lightly toasted them first.  At the local supermarket I had bought a can of refried beans and a can of "chipotle" peppers in "adobo" sauce.  I heated up the beans and mixed in a couple peppers in sauce.  I spooned the beans onto the split English muffins and topped them liberally with grated "Mexican blend" cheese.  On a baking sheet I put them under the oven broiler just for a few minutes, just long enough to melt the cheese.

 
Although the finished product was not quite as tasty as the real thing in Mexico, my "molletes" were very good.  Three split muffins made a filling supper.  It was very quick and easy, and I will definitely make them again.

No comments:

Post a Comment