from airplane

from airplane

Monday, April 6, 2020

in the Kitchen

It had been a long time since I had made soup, so I decided that while the weather was still on the chilly side that I would make up a big kettle.  I thought about making vegetable stock from scratch rather than buying it in the store, and I found a recipe on the internet.  Last Friday after making a morning run to the supermarket to buy the ingredients, I spent the afternoon in the kitchen.

The vegetables had to be chopped, and then browned in olive oil.  Water and spices were added, and then it was allowed to simmer for an hour and a half.


Then the vegetables had to be removed from the stock.  That seemed a waste, but I had a taste, and the vegetables were mushy and bland after cooking for so long.  The stock really wasn't that flavorful.  Granted, it was probably a lot healthier since it didn't contain all the salt that store-bought stock contains.  But I doubt if would go to all the bother of making it from scratch again.

I used the stock to make cabbage soup.  I didn't have a recipe.  I just through in things that I thought would go well together... a small head of shredded cabbage, some cubes of ham, as well as potatoes and carrots.  I put it in the refrigerator to sit overnight to let the flavors meld.  I had it for dinner the next day.  I thought that the ham would give it a richer taste, but it still was a bit bland.  Before putting my bowl into the microwave I sprinkled in some hot Hungarian paprika.  That turned out to be just the extra kick that it needed.  I had two big bowls, and I am having more today for dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment