city at night

city at night

Monday, February 19, 2018

Dining Out

I am back at the condo for one more night before I leave to go home on Wednesday.  Since Alejandro's home is closer to the airport than the condo, and since my luggage is still at his place, it is logical that I go back there tomorrow to pack my bags and spend my last night.

So my dinner today was my last time out at a restaurant for this trip.  I was at the "Reforma 222" shopping mall, and I ate at "El Bajío", a chain of restaurants specializing in traditional Mexican cuisine.  It is usually a dependable chain, and my meal today was excellent.  I ordered a pitcher of melon water to drink, and I started with a plate of "fideo seco"... slightly spicy noodles garnished with cheese, cilantro, sour cream and avocado.   For my main course I had pork loin in "mole de Xico".  Since there is a town in the state of Veracruz called Xico, and since the supervising chef of "El Bajío" hails from Veracruz, I am assuming that this "mole" is from that state.


The pork was very tender, and the dark, rich "mole" was exceptionally good.  Hot, homemade tortillas were served in a basket.  (Tortillas are a must for sopping up the remaining "mole"!)  For dessert I had "cajeta" (Mexican caramel) cake.

An excellent meal for bringing this stay in Mexico to a close!


2 comments:

  1. That fideo Seco sounds perfect,
    I am cutting back on meat consumption.
    Will be on the lookout for something similar in my neigborhood's cafes.
    Dana J

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The "fideos" are known as a "sopa seca" (dry soup). A traditional, full course Mexican dinner begins with "sopa aguada" (wet soup... what WE call soup), then the "sopa seca" (a rice or pasta dish) and then the main course. On a Mexican menu, you would find the "fideos" listed under the "Sopas".

      Delete