from airplane

from airplane

Wednesday, September 6, 2017

Stupid! Stupid! Stupid!

I just pulled the biggest travel blunder of my entire life!

I had it firmly in my mind that my return flight to the U.S. was tomorrow, Thursday, September 7th.  It is not possible to print a boarding pass ahead of time for the Interjet flight from Mexico City to Chicago, but I can print the pass for my United flight from Chicago to Cleveland.  So today at 5:30 PM, twenty four hours before my flight to Cleveland, I went to the United website to check-in.  I received a message that I could not check-in because the plane was about to depart.  WHAT?!

I went back and checked my itinerary, and yes, indeed, I was supposed to be flying home TODAY!  I immediately went back to the United website and booked a flight for tomorrow.  I will fly with United for the entire flight via Houston, rather than going through the bother of making separate reservations with both Interjet and United.

Well, I guess I just didn't want to leave Mexico! 

8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Yes, a sign that I didn't want to go back to "Trumplandia"!

      Delete
  2. So are you home now? Did you get out of Mexico City before the earthquake tremors? Did you lose all the money for your missed flight? That is a traveler's nightmare. Kind of like your alarm not going off for work or an exam. I agree with Joan; a Freudian slip for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm home and I have sent you an email. Yes, there is no reimbursement (even from my travel insurance) for just being so stupid as to forget what day you are supposed to return.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like my friend who did not meet up with me in Rome. He got the day wrong, and by then, it was too late to make the short trip.

    Did you feel the earthquake? I was texting with Edgar in Tehuacán when it hit. He was alarmed. And it looks like it was a big one, albeit from from CDMX.

    Saludos and safe travels,

    Kim G
    Redding, CA
    Where so far no earthquakes, but plenty of forest fires.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm home now... for another month and a half. I left Thursday morning, and the earthquake hit that night around midnight. I got out before the quake and before Hurricane Katia comes through. Alejandro and family are fine. Not much damage in CDMX, but much more tragic in other areas.
      Saludos,
      Bill

      Delete
  4. Hopefully your new flight out was just in time to miss the 8.2!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I missed the quake. I have experienced a couple minor quakes in Mexico City, but this one, I think, would have been much scarier.

      Delete