city at night

city at night

Friday, September 1, 2017

Dragon Fruit

Last weekend while we were at the outdoor market, Alejandro bought a dragon fruit, or pitaya, as it is known in Mexico.  I did not take a picture of this unusual fruit, but here is a picture from the internet.


I did, however, take a picture of it after Alejandro and peeled and sliced it.


I found the fruit to rather bland... slightly sweet, slightly salty.  I would not turn it down if it were served to me, but it was not something that I would make a point of eating.  That is, until I read about its nutritional values.  The fruit is low in calories, and rich in vitamin C, dietary fiber, iron, phosphorus, calcium and antioxidants.  The seeds contain omega acids which reduce triglycerides.  OK, maybe I will pick one up the next time I see it in the market. 

No comments:

Post a Comment