city at night

city at night

Tuesday, August 9, 2016

My Ancestral Village

Today was a dreary, rainy day, but I suppose it worked out well, since we had no major activities planned.  In the late afternoon we drove to Othmarsingen, the town where cousin Brigitta was born and raised, and the town from which my Swiss ancestors came.


Othmarsingen is located about a half hour to the west of Zurich, and has a population of about 2,500.

I was here four years ago, but once again I visited the town's church.  The building dates back to 1675.  It was here that my great grandmother was baptized.


The interior of the church and some of its stained glass windows...




When I visit this place  I think of the generations of ancestors who were here.  They celebrated baptisms and weddings and mourned their departed here.  It is truly a moving experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment