city at night

city at night

Friday, July 22, 2016

Lunch in Little Italy

Yesterday I wrote about our visit to Lake View Cemetery in Cleveland.

After the cemetery's establishment in 1869, large numbers of Italian stone masons and sculptors arrived to work on the elaborate mausoleums and monuments.  They settled just down the hill from the cemetery, and created what was to become the Cleveland neighborhood of Little Italy.

Today, Little Italy is a popular destination for locals who come to dine in its many Italian restaurants and to shop in its bakeries, gift shops and art galleries.




After our excursion to the cemetery, Gayle, Duffy and I were ready for lunch.  We went to a restaurant called "Trattoria on the Hill".  The food was good.  Gayle ordered a small pizza, Duffy had linguine with meatballs, and I had gnocchi.


 

After lunch we walked a few doors down the street to an Italian bakery.  The cases were full of all sorts of yummy items.



We could not resist temptation.  Each of us bought some goodies to take home.






4 comments:

  1. The food in Little Italy is always wonderful and was the perfect compliment to our tour of Lake View Cemetery. You are a great tour guide and it was a lovely way to spend a summer day. I'll have to go back to Lake View in the fall when the leaves turn.
    Gayle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you had a good time, Gayle. Too bad you don't want to go to Merida. I'm an even better tour guide there! LOL

      Delete
  2. Bill, I learned so much about Cleveland prior to the convention. I must say I was very impressed and had never thought of a trip to Cleveland, but now I certainly do. I know you're relieved that the convention is over, but it did give exposure to your lovely city and all of its wonderful amenities like the symphony!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, although we are not a major tourist destination, there is plenty to see here.

      Delete