city at night

city at night

Sunday, August 16, 2015

Also Gone Forever

After writing my previous post on the murals that I painted in my junior high classroom, I started to think about another mural that decorated my room when I later taught at the high school.


I found a photo of a much younger me (with hair!) posing next to the mural.  However I can not claim any credit at all for this piece of art.  One year, back in the 80s, my colleague Jane had her Spanish IV class in my room.  That year there was a special exhibit on the Mayas at the Cleveland Museum of Art.  Jane and I took our Spanish III and IV classes on a field trip to see the exhibit.  Jane was then inspired to add a bit of Mayan décor to the classroom.  Using a transparency and an overhead projector, her students traced the outline of an Mayan sculpture onto the back wall, and painted it in the colors that the Mayas used in their artwork.  It came out beautifully, and greatly enhanced the appearance of the room.

Jane never had another class in my room, but for the rest of my teaching career, I had this lovely work of art to look at while I taught.  After I retired, the high school building, like the junior high, was torn down, and a new school was built.  So, unfortunately, this mural is also gone forever.

When I was looking for a photo of the mural, I came across this picture of me, later in my career, seated at my desk.  Ha! Ha!



2 comments:

  1. Before and after! You definitely look much more "chill" in the second picture.

    Saludos,

    Kim G
    Boston, MA
    Where it's good to be home again despite how much fun it was to be on Cape Cod for four days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure when the second picture was taken, but I suspect that both were taken in the "good ol' days" when teaching was still fun.
      ¡Saludos!

      Delete