from airplane

from airplane

Friday, April 18, 2014

Earthquake

For any of my readers who heard about this morning's earthquake, I want to let you know that all is well here.  This was the third time that I have experienced a tremor in Mexico City, but this morning's seemed to be the strongest and lasted the longest.  I was still in bed when it occurred.  I ran down the stairs (my apartment is on the third floor) and went out to the street.  I was barefoot and dressed in nothing but a pair of gym shorts.  There were many other people on the street... and I was not the only one who was partially dressed.  Standing on the street I could feel the pavement vibrating under my feet.  When it was over I returned to the apartment and found a few things had fallen to the floor (nothing broken) and drawers and closet doors had been jarred open.  It wasn't until closer inspection that I found a number of cracks in the plaster and some plaster on the floor.  But there was no major structural damage.  The owner of the apartment happened to be in the neighborhood having breakfast at a nearby restaurant.  She immediately came over to make sure that I was all right, and to see if there had been any damage.

On the news there were some reports of minor damage, but apparently no injuries.
It was a rather scary way to begin Good Friday, but, as I said, all is well. 

5 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I figured I better post something. I already had a comment from one former student asking if I was all right.
      Saludos

      Delete
  2. Glad to hear it! Thank you for the update.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Come back to Merida! No fault lines there! http://yucatanexpat.com/earthquakes-in-mexico-what-about-yucatan/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mexico City is a wonderful place to visit, but I will admit that the earthquakes, along with the traffic and pollution, are reasons that I wouldn't want to live here. Of course every place has its pros and cons. As much as I love Mérida, I don't think I could stand the heat during certain times of the year. My hometown of Cleveland, Ohio, was on a list of cities with the lowest risk of natural disasters... although if we keep having winters like past one, my winter trips to Mexico are going to be longer! LOL
      ¡Saludos!

      Delete