Independence Day

Independence Day

Monday, August 5, 2024

Alejandro Cuts a Rug*

As I said in the last post, on Saturday Alejandro and I attended a first communion party.  Mexican people certainly know how to throw a party, and this was no exception.  The guests began arriving around 1:30 in the afternoon, and the party did not break up until midnight.  For the first several hours, while everyone socialized and ate, the music, which was an eclectic mix of Latin and classic U.S. pop music was at a subdued level.  Dinner table conversation was possible.  Then after dinner, a DJ showed up, the volume went up, and people took to the dance floor.


The music began with salsa and cumbia music.  I, with my two left feet and lack of rhythm, simply watched with a bit of envy.  Most everyone really knew how to dance to these Latin tunes.



As the night went on the range of music went on to include country-western (I chuckled when I heard "My Achy-Breaky Heart in Spanish!), 50's rock n' roll and disco.  Here, Alejandro's cousin Silvia and her husband Felipe move to "Jailhouse Rock".



Then my husband took to the dance floor and started dancing with his "cousin-in-law" Verónica.



Alejandro brought disco alive along with Lidia (daughter of his cousin Silvia), Valeria (daughter of his cousin Salvador) and Silvia as they danced to "I Will Survive".






Silvia and Alejandro sing along to Mexican pop star Luis Miguel's hit rendition of "Cuando Calienta el Sol".



It was a fun evening even if I was on the sidelines!

* I suppose that I am dating myself by using the expression "to cut a rug".  For those younger readers who aren't familiar with the expression, it means to dance, especially to dance vigorously.

3 comments:

  1. I see dance lessons in your future! Go for it.........so much fun.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nah, Alejandro once tried to teach how to dance salsa. Didn't work. :-)

      Delete
  2. Well now! That was a lot of fun! I worked with a woman who had been married 3 times, and was disappointed that "there wasn't one dancer among them." She's gone now, but she would have danced with Alejandro for sure, as would have I!

    ReplyDelete