city at night

city at night

Thursday, August 6, 2020

My "Super-Torta"

In yesterday's post I wrote about my trip to the Mexican supermarket, and I said that the first thing I was going to make was "tortas".

In much of the Spanish-speaking world a "torta" is a cake, but in Mexico it is a kind of sandwich.  Most anything can go into a "torta", but the one requirement is that it be on a "bolillo", a typical Mexican bread which is similar to a baguette but shorter in length.

The shops and stands selling "tortas" are not quite as ubiquitous as the taco joints, but you will find them all over Mexico City.  Alejandro and I often go to a little "torta" place not far from his house.  It's a hole-in-the-wall that would probably never pass inspection from the health department if it were up here, but their "tortas" are scrumptious.

To make my "torta", I split the "bolillo" in two and then spread mayonnaise on each half.  I then toasted each half on both sides in a hot frying pan.  (In Mexico this would be done on a "comal", a Mexican griddle.)  

I then started putting the ingredients on my "torta".


On one side I smeared some refried beans and put some slices of sweet gherkins.  On the other side I placed chunks of avocado and slices of serrano peppers.



Next came some "chorizo" (Mexican sausage) which I had fried with poblano peppers, and some strips of Chihuahua cheese.  

I put the sandwich together, and put it back in the frying pan long enough for the cheese to start to melt.

And here is the finished product!


It's very messy, but it was sooooo good!  Just as good as the "tortas" at the place near Alejandro's house.  Sometimes when I make Mexican dishes, it comes out very tasty, but not as good as in Mexico.  This however was the real deal.  This was a "super-torta"!

No comments:

Post a Comment