from airplane

from airplane

Friday, August 21, 2020

Home Improvement

 Like many other people, I am using this "stay-at-home" summer as an opportunity to do needed improvements on my home.  Earlier this summer I had new siding installed.  Now I have shifted my focus to the interior of the house.

The water in my community is infamous for its corrosive effect on metal.  As a result both my bathroom and kitchen faucets were corroded.  The kitchen faucet had reached the point where it had sprung a pinhole leak.  So last week I went to a plumbing store.  I asked the guy if there was any type or brand of faucet that is better at withstanding corrosion.   He told me "no".  However, he said that Moen faucets have a lifetime guarantee, and that if they became corroded they would be replaced for free.  So I picked out two Moen faucets.  This past Monday the plumber from the store came out and installed them.



Project #2 on my checklist is accomplished.


For longer than I care to admit, the spare bedroom has been off-limits to visitors.  The carpeting in there must have been nearly fifty years old, and was disgusting.  The room also needs a fresh coat of paint.  During the last couple of weeks I have been ripping out the carpeting and padding and prying up the tack strips along the perimeter of the room.  As I removed the carpeting, I moved the furniture around to see how I would want it arranged.   


The sofa bed is too big and heavy to get out of the room.  When I bought it, it barely made it in, and in the process the woodwork of the doorway was badly gouged.  For that reason, I am going to have laminate flooring put in.  That does not require adhesive that must dry before furniture can be placed on it.  So the installers will be able to do one half of the room and then move the sofa bed and do the other half. That work is now complete, and probably next week I will go to a flooring store that was recommended to me.  A friend told me that he would be happy to paint the room after the flooring has been installed.   Probably by autumn I will have a brand new room.

As I told my Swiss cousins, when they come to visit me someday they will have a nice place to stay!

4 comments:

  1. We just got a new bathroom faucet and it looks just like your new one. Excellent choice! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Meredith. Hopefully it will last a few years before Berea water starts corroding it!

      Delete
  2. I hope you won’t mind my unsolicited advice, but I’m a retired furniture sales/decorator and want to tell you it is better to paint first, to avoid any paint getting on your new flooring. I’m sure you will love the new flooring. And the window topper is hung too low, raise the rod higher before the painting. The room will look bigger and so will the window.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the advice, especially about painting first.
      I haven't decided yet whether or not I will keep the same window treatment.

      Delete