city at night

city at night

Friday, July 24, 2020

Into the Trash



Back in early June I wrote that I had purchased some hand sanitizer at my local supermarket.  It was a brand that I had never heard of... "Blumen"... and, in spite of its German name, it was made in Mexico.

I had read some time ago that the FDA was warning that some of the off-brands of sanitizers that were appearing on store shelves during the pandemic contained methanol.  Methanol, or wood alcohol, is highly toxic if ingested, and can even cause poisoning when absorbed through the skin.

Well, "Blumen" has appeared on the list of potentially toxic sanitizers.  Fortunately, I have not been using it.  I still have hand sanitizer from before the pandemic.  I don't use it very often.  At home I wash my hands with soap and water, and I only use a squirt of Purell when I am out of the house.  I had purchased the bottle of "Blumen" as a back-up in case I run out.  But it has now been tossed into the trash can.

No comments:

Post a Comment