city at night

city at night

Friday, November 1, 2019

My Own "Ofrenda"

My visit to the Jamaica Market inspired me to put up a small "ofrenda"... the altar in remembrance of departed loved ones... in my apartment.  I bought some artificial marigolds and a couple of candles.  I already had a number of "calaveras" (skulls).  I don't have photos, but I did make little signs with the names of some of the people dear to me who have passed away.




My little "ofrenda" is missing many elements that are generally included in the altar.  I don't think my landlord would appreciate it if I burned "copal"... an aromatic wood that has been used as incense since pre-Hispanic times.  There should also be a bowl of salt to purify the souls, a glass of water to quench the thirst of the souls after their journey, "pan de muerto" (bread of the dead) and favorite foods to satisfy their hunger.

In spite of that, when my cleaning lady came and saw the "ofrenda", she said, "¡Qué padre!"  "How cool!"

No comments:

Post a Comment