city at night

city at night

Monday, November 18, 2019

Ballet in the Morning

On Sunday morning my cousin Gail, her friend Annette, my friend Alejandro, and I went to a performance of the Ballet Folklórico at Mexico City's Palace of Fine Arts.


I had purchased the tickets earlier this month, and we had excellent seats in the center section just a few rows back from the stage.  The gentleman at the ticket window had said "The best seats in the house", and he was certainly correct.

The beautiful theater which dates back to the 1930s boasts a Tiffany glass stage curtain with a painting of the snow-covered volcanoes Iztaccíhuatl and Popocatépetl.


No matter how many times I see the Ballet Folklórico (and the first time was way back in 1971 when I was in college, and the ballet came to Cleveland for a performance) I never fail to enjoy the performance.  It is a spectacular presentation of the folk music, dances, and costumes of the regions of Mexico.

  

The dances of the "Matachines" harken back to the ceremonies of pre-Hispanic Mexico.



The music of the state of Veracruz, known as "jarocho" music, features harps and has a very distinctive sound.



The well-known folk tune "La Bamba" is a dance from the state of Veracruz.  Watch as the two dancers tie a sash into a bow with their feet.



The ballet always concludes with dances from the state of Jalisco, the birthplace of the "mariachi" music which we think of as quintessentially Mexican.


My visitors Gail and Annette were thoroughly impressed with this joyous celebration of Mexican traditions.

4 comments:

  1. The tying of the bow with only their feet looked very difficult. And I laughed a little because in my work leading team-building activities, that's the kind of thing we might make a group do. It wouldn't be done so quickly or so colorfully though. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, you'll have to have them do that sometime with a recording of "La Bamba" playing in the background. :-)

      Delete
  2. Non-stop energy from 50 performers, thrilling to watch, and a riot of color! I would see the Ballet Folklorico again and again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have lost track of how many times I have seen the Ballet, and ever time I see it, I fall in love with Mexico all over again.

      Delete