city at night

city at night

Wednesday, March 1, 2017

Orchid Mania

A high school friend of mine asked me if I wanted to go to "Orchid Mania", the annual orchid show at the Cleveland Botanical Gardens.  I have been to the Botanical Gardens a number of times, but I had never seen the orchid show there.  I have never attempted to grow orchids, and know nothing about the many varieties, but I certainly appreciate the beauty of the blossoms. Today we went to see the show.

In the hall leading from the lobby there was a display of different kinds of orchids.







They were very beautiful, but I thought, "Is that all there is?"  No, not at all. 

The Botanical Society's "Glass House" is a large conservatory (large enough to house full-grown trees).  It is divided into two sections... one part is filled with plants from the rainforest of Costa Rica, the other part recreates the spiny forest of the deserts of Madagascar. 

We entered the rainforest exhibit, and there were orchids displayed everywhere amidst the lush, tropical foliage.  I was surprised that there were still more orchids in the Madagascar section.  (I don't know if there are some varieties which grow in more arid climates, or if they have to water each orchid individually for the duration of the show.)

Here is a small sample of some of the blossoms which we saw today...




















A butterfly attracted to the fragrant flowers.






2 comments: