city at night

city at night

Saturday, December 7, 2019

Unveiling the Christmas Card

If you have read this blog over the years, you know that each year I do a small painting which I then use to create my Christmas card.  It is always a secret what the painting will be until the cards are sent.  I sent my cards the day before Thanksgiving, so I think that it is safe to say that everyone has received their card.  I can now share that picture with you.


My cards are usually based on a photo taken during my travels.  This picture is of Coyoacán, a very historic district within Mexico City.  Coyoacán, which in the Aztec language of Nahuatl means "Place of the Coyotes", dates back to pre-Hispanic times, and was once a separate town from Mexico City.  When the Spanish conqueror Hernán Cortés defeated the Aztecs, he used Coyoacán as his headquarters while Mexico City was being built from the rubble of the Aztec capital.  For many years it remained a rural town on the outskirts of the city.  By the 20th century it became absorbed within the urban sprawl of Mexico City, but its historic center remains one of the most  picturesque parts of the capital.  
I took a photo of this quiet side street lined with colorful, colonial houses last spring.  The street was decorated with paper banners (known as "papel picado"... cut paper) that are used for holidays.  (I believe that they were hanging in celebration of the saint's day for the local parish.)  Alejandro saw the photo and said that it would make a good subject for my Christmas card.  And so, I chose that picture for this year's card.

I believe that by now even my European cousins have all received their card.  My cousin in England wrote to me and thanked me for their card, and my Swiss cousin Brigitta even sent me a photo of the card sitting on the counter in their home.


So now I share my painting with you, my readers, with my best wishes for a very happy holiday season!

6 comments:

  1. Your card is always the first one I receive, and your artwork is always beautiful. I save them all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your card with us 'on-liners' too.
    Feliz Navidad!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely painting! I'm pretty sure I recognize that street. Is it midway between the main square and tiny Plaza Santa Catarina?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Scott.
      Yes, it is a side street off of Avenida Francisco Sosa, the avenue which runs from Avenida Universidad to the main plaza via Plaza Santa Catarina.

      Delete