city at night

city at night

Saturday, March 18, 2017

Caribbean Flavor




My cousin Gail and her husband Wes wanted to get together with me before we soon take off on our respective trips.  (They are going to Greece and the Balkans; I am headed to Mexico again.)  Gail had read about a little place called "Sabor Miami" in Cleveland's Old Brooklyn neighborhood, so we went there yesterday for lunch.

The owner of the restaurant is from Honduras.  She had taken over the operation of a small diner that was popular for its pancakes, and a year ago she opened her own place nearby.  She kept the pancakes on the menu but added a variety of Caribbean-inspired dishes.

The café is a tiny hole-in-the-wall.  The owner's mother waited on us.  She is a charming lady who was a school teacher in Honduras.  When I said, "Gracias", she asked me if I speak Spanish.  We then started chattering away in Spanish while Gail and Wes looked on.

We all had "café con leche" to drink.  It was so good I had a second cup.

Wes ordered "cinnamon- roll pancakes".


Gail ordered fried plantains covered with black beans and sour cream, as well as an "empanada".


I had a heaping plate of yellow rice with black beans, shredded pork, "pico de gallo" and a curry sauce.


We all enjoyed our meals, and will definitely return to this unique café!

4 comments:

  1. Yum - I LOVE hole in the wall places where the owners are involved. Looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I often prefer those little places to fancier, trendier restaurants.

      Delete
  2. Another "Marti cousins" adventure, as usual, involving food!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do have a knack for finding good places to eat!

      Delete