city at night

city at night

Sunday, December 27, 2015

Looking Back and Looking Forward

2015 was filled with travel.  It was another one of those years where it seemed that now and then I was at home.  2016 is also shaping up to be busy year.

2015 began with a long trip to Mexico in January and February.  I flew to Oaxaca with my friend Jane and spent two marvelous weeks there.  That time in Oaxaca will always hold bittersweet memories for me, since Jane sadly passed away earlier this month.  It was our last travel adventure together.


After Jane returned to Ohio, I continued on to Mexico City to visit my friend Alejandro. I was hoping to avoid most of the Ohio winter, but even after my return, the bitterly cold winter seemed to stretch on endlessly.   I made another trip to Mexico City in April for Alejandro's birthday.



In July Alejandro came up here for a visit, and during his two weeks north of the border, we took an excursion to Mackinac Island in Michigan.  It is one of my favorite places in the United States, and I think that Alejandro thoroughly enjoyed our time there.


In September I went to Spain.  I traveled to three historic cities that I had never visited before... Burgos, León, and Valladolid, and I had a chance to see my cousin who lives in Madrid.



Just a little over a month ago I went to Mexico City again.  For the past four years I have been traveling there in November.  No matter how often I visit, I always find new places to explore.


The new year of 2016 is nearly upon us.  In eight days I will be returning to Mexico.  I will begin in one of my favorite cities in Mexico... Mérida, the capital of the state of Yucatán.
 


A friend, Frank, will be traveling with me, and I will be playing "tour guide" once again.  Over the years I have taken many friends to Mérida, and they have all fallen in love with the city.  This will be Frank's first trip to Mexico, and I am hoping that he too will find Mérida to be a delightful city.

From Mérida I will continue on my own to Mexico City.  Fellow blogger, Kim, the author of "El Gringo Suelto" will be south of the border at the same time, and we are looking forward to meeting up again. 

Alejandro will be returning with me to Ohio for a visit.  He will have a chance to experience winter in Ohio.  Hopefully the weather will not be as brutal as it has been for the past two years.  (A mild winter is predicted thanks to "El Niño".)  However it would be nice if we had a bit of snow... just enough to make the landscape look pretty.

In August of next year I will return to Switzerland.  Three of my Swiss cousins will be celebrating their 60th birthdays that month, and I have been invited to the big party.  It will be wonderful to see my Swiss family again, and to meet even more of my distant cousins.


As long as I am on that side of the ocean, I have been thinking about visiting some other European country that I have not yet seen.  But no plans have been made yet.

I hope that my readers have a wonderful new year!


6 comments:

  1. I'm so envious, I hate to admit, that you get to travel so often. Love all the photos.......have fun in DF! I'm off to the Pacific........BTW, if I didn't tell you before, I love Mackinac Island as well

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Barbara. I'm sure that plenty of people are envious of your life in San Miguel.
      Have fun at the beach!

      Delete
  2. Hola Bill!

    I'm thinking about Alejandro and that Ohio winter and I can't decide what's best: a mild winter; or a horrible winter. On the one hand, a mild winter would be the obvious choice, easiest for him to take, and least likely to interrupt travel plans. But it could also create a false impression, which wouldn't be good either. On the other hand, a horrid winter has all the obvious drawbacks. But if he can tolerate a horrid winter, then you know he'll be able to deal with whatever Mother Nature throws at him.

    If only you had a choice in the matter of the type of winter.

    Saludos,

    Kim G
    Boston, MA
    Where on our return, we had the delight of dragging our suitcase through slush. Thank God Mexico is only two weeks away! Dying to see you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hola, Kim.
      Alejandro has been to Canada twice in the winter, so he has already experienced severe winter weather. He has a winter coat and hat, but we might have to go out and buy gloves for him.
      So you have slush in Boston? So far we have only had one very light dusting of snow here. The temperature was close to 60 for Christmas, and the last couple days have been rainy.
      By the way, Alejandro says that due to "el Niño" they are predicting an unusually rainy winter in D.F.
      Looking forward to seeing you!
      ¡Hasta pronto!
      Bill

      Delete
  3. Nice year-end summary, Bill! I'm sorry to learn of your friend's passing.

    Happy New Year...and here's to good 2016 travels for both of us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Scott.
      Happy New Year to you too, and, yes, may we both continue to travel for many years!

      Delete