from airplane

from airplane

Monday, June 1, 2015

Recipe - "Fideos al Chipotle"

Yesterday I wrote about my trip to the local Mexican grocery to buy "fideos", a macaroni similar to vermicelli.

I wanted to prepare "fideos al chipotle", something which I have enjoyed a number of times as a side dish at "Buena Tierra", one of my favorite restaurants in Mexico City.  I found a recipe on the internet, but I made a few changes to it.  For example, the recipe called for "chorizo" (a Mexican sausage).  Since the "fideos" I had at "Buena Tierra did not have "chorizo", I omitted the sausage.  It's probably healthier without it anyway.  The recipe also called for 250 grams of "fideos".  The bag I found at the grocery store was only 200 grams, so I reduced the amount of chicken stock in which the noodles are simmered.  Even so, it seemed like a lot of liquid, and I was afraid that it was going to be too soupy.  However, after cooking for a while, the stock was absorbed.  The finished product looked and tasted very much like what I have had in Mexico.


It was a fairly easy dish to prepare.  If you are interested in making it for yourself, here is my revised recipe...

* 200 gram bag of "fideos"  (If you can't find "fideos" I suppose that you could use vermicelli cut into shorter length)

*one quarter of a large white onion, chopped

*one medium clove of garlic, chopped, and mashed into a paste with salt

*two Roma tomatoes

*canned "chipotle" peppers in adobo sauce, chopped (I used 2 peppers.  It was pleasantly "picante".)

*one and one half cups of chicken stock

Saute the onion and garlic in olive oil until the onion starts to become transparent. 
Puree the tomatoes, onion and garlic in a blender.
In the olive oil brown the "fideos" over medium heat for about five minutes
Stir in the puree and the "chipotles".  Cook for a few minutes until it is thoroughly mixed with the noodles.
Add the chicken broth, cover, and simmer over low heat for five minutes.
Uncover, and continue cooking until the liquid is absorbed.
Salt to taste.

I ate it plain, but you can also garnish it with Mexican "crema", crumbled cheese and avocado slices.

¡Buen provecho!






No comments:

Post a Comment