city at night

city at night

Tuesday, May 26, 2015

More Gardening

 
 
 
Lately it seems as if this is a "gardening blog" instead of the "travel blog", but at this time of year it seems that I am a slave to my garden.  Last year I neglected my garden because of my trip to Europe, which means that this year there is more work than ever to do. 
 
My Siberian iris is beginning to bloom.
 
 
I have never had any luck with the more traditional "bearded iris". but the Siberian variety seem to thrive in my garden.
 
 
My lilac bush has also started to bloom, although this year it does not seem to have as many blossoms as usual.
 

 

 
My new rose bushes are also blooming.
 

 
The spiderworts are pretty in the spring and early summer.  However later in the season they become gangly and unattractive, and I usually cut them down.  They have also become quite invasive.  They are popping up everywhere, and I have dug up many of them.
 
 
 
 
Every year I plant some new perennials.  This is called an ice plant.  Unlike most perennials, which bloom only once, this plant is supposed to bloom all summer long and into the autumn.
 
 
 
Another perennial which I added this year is a blanket flower.  It too is supposed to bloom all summer.
 
 
We are now past the danger of frost, and it is safe to plant annuals (fingers crossed).  Yesterday I went to the nursery and bought over 100 begonias.  About fifty of them went into one of the beds in my front yard.  The plants are small, and do not look like much right now.   But in a month, they should form a blanket of bronze foliage with red, white and pink flowers.
 
 
 
Finally, perhaps one of my readers can help me.  I planted this attractive perennial with little star-shaped blossoms quite a few years ago.  I have forgotten its name.  Does anyone know what it is?
 
 


8 comments:

  1. I have never heard of a siberian iris. I always had bearded iris, but have not been able to get them to grow here in SMA. Love your garden and all the flowers. We don't have lilacs in the South either, be it Texas or Mexico. One of my favorite fragrances of all times. Thanks for sharing........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the fragrance of lilacs too. Between my neighbor's large lilac and mine, I have been frequently treated to a whiff while working in the garden.
      In another month the garden will be in its prime... just in time for Alejandro's visit and the open house that I am planning.

      Delete
  2. Blue star creeper? I always had a lot of blue in my garden, love blue.
    Joan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joan. I will check that out, although my plant is more of a small bush than a creeping plant.

      Delete
    2. I just "googled" blue star creeper. Although the flowers look the same, the foliage is a bit different. Also it is described as a ground cover that is quite invasive. My plant has remained a compact small bush. But thanks for trying to help me identify it.

      Delete
  3. Have you checked out Amsonia Blue Ice, also very similar.
    Joan

    ReplyDelete