from airplane

from airplane

Sunday, May 18, 2014

Gardening

This year, because of my trip Europe, I decided that I would not do as much in my flower gardens.  I have a large number of perennials, but I usually fill in spots with annuals and also plant a large number of annuals in pots for the patios.  Because I will be leaving at the end of May and will be gone all of June (my prime gardening time), I will simply let the perennials do their thing and forget about the annuals.  However, all of the flower beds are in need of a thorough cleaning out and weeding.  I figured that I would be able to get that done before I leave.  But we have had a terrible spring.  It has been chilly and rainy.  On the occasional nice days I needed to mow the lawn.  Today we had a bright, sunny day, although the temperature was still only about 60 degrees.  I spent around five hours outside, and I have the front of the house looking respectable.  The brutal winter played havoc on some of the plants.  The azaleas only have a few flowers at the bottom, and my roses only have leaves at the base.  I cut back all the dead wood today.  

Tomorrow is supposed to be sunny again.  I will have to mow the lawn, but hopefully I can get started on the flower beds in the back.  There is so much to do.  I know that I won't have time to get it all done...  oh well.  But at least, even at its worst, my yard will not look as bad as that of my one neighbor who seems to cultivate four foot high weeds.  And my other neighbor, who has a beautiful yard, will be understanding.


Creeping phlox
 
 


 
Columbines
 
 
   
This gives you an idea of the mess in the back flower beds.

2 comments:

  1. What gorgeous flowers - two that I've never had the joy of planting. We must be on the same time frame. I have so many gardens inside the gate. Yesterday, Jennifer's garden, the main one, was cleaned and it was amazing all the trash (old leaves and dead branches) that were cleaned out. It looks lovely today. Now if the butterfly lilies would bloom in profusion, I would be so happy. It has been chilly here as well. 37 and 38 for two mornings last week! EXTREMELY unusual for May in SMA! Of course it warms up 40 degrees during the day, but still cooler then usual for May before the rains.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Barbara. I filled up a garbage can the other day with debris from just a couple of flower beds.
      Are you giving the temperatures in Fahrenheit or Celsius? I can't imagine a high of 40 F in May in Mexico.

      Delete