zocalo

zocalo

Saturday, November 25, 2023

It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas

On Thanksgiving Day, the weather here was gray and chilly.  It wasn't supposed to rain, although there were occasional light sprinkles, what the Mexicans call "chipichipi".  It would have been a good day to just stay in the apartment, but it was my cleaning lady's day to come, and I had to get out of her way.  So, I put on my warmest jacket and ventured out.  I decided to go to some of the shopping malls, not to shop, but to take some photos of their Christmas decorations.

The closest to me, just across the street from the World Trade Center, is a small mall called Plaza Dakota 95.  Their tree was set up, and there were inflatable decorations with holiday greetings in both Spanish and English.


A ten-minute walk away is a larger mall called Metrópoli Patriotismo.  It has lighted decorations and a large tree.






There was a big chair in front of the tree for Santa, but he was not there.

I then took the Metrobus about two miles down Insurgentes Avenue to the mall located in the Manacar Tower.


Once again there was a very tall tree in the middle of the multi-story mall.




Santa was not at his post at the "Polar Express" station, but you could send him a letter at the mailbox.



 
Walking back up Insurgentes Avenue toward the apartment, it was just a few blocks to the Liverpool Department Store.  They always have a large tree outside the store.


Next door to Liverpool, there is another mall, Galerías Insurgentes.  I thought that this one was the most festively decorated.









Santa was at his post in this mall, but he was conversing intently with a policewoman.  I hope that there wasn't a break-in at Santa's workshop!



2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sparing me having to go to “the MALL” to see Christmas decor. I no longer feel the magic we had of going to downtown to see the beautiful window displays and decorations in the lovely old department stores. I shall stay cozy at home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I remember the days of going with my mother on the bus to downtown Cleveland on the day after Thanksgiving, shopping at the department stores, seeing Santa, and staying until dark when the Christmas lights on Public Square were turned on.

      Delete