city at night

city at night

Tuesday, June 30, 2020

Volcano Addict

Regular readers of this blog know that since I cannot travel in the foreseeable future, I have been frequently looking at webcams of Mexico.  In addition to viewing Mexico City, I also have a fascination with the webcams of the volcano Popocatépetl.  I look to see whether or not it is obscured in clouds, if it has any snow on its peak, and if it is fuming.

This morning there was a very clear view of the mountain from the town of Amecameca, which is located about 38 miles from Mexico City.



There is also a webcam in the town of Tianguismanalco, and in the past couple days I have found some excellent pictures of "Popo" from there.  I had to search on Google Maps to see where Tianguismanalco is located.  It is on the other side of the mountain from Mexico City in the state of Puebla.  It is located on the border of Popo-Izta National Park.

As you can see, the volcano's summit currently is covered in white.  At that elevation (over 17,000 feet above sea level) the precipitation of the summer rainy season falls as snow.

 

I especially like this view from a couple days ago with the mountain rising above a layer of clouds.




No comments:

Post a Comment