city at night

city at night

Monday, June 15, 2020

View of the Volcanoes

I have frequently posted pictures from "Webcams de México", especially now that I can only visit Mexico virtually.  And frequently I have mentioned and posted photos of the two volcanoes, Popocatépetl and Iztaccíhuatl (Popo and Izta for short) which are located about forty miles from Mexico City.  However, I don't think that I have ever posted a webcam view of the two of them as seen from the other side, from the city of Puebla.


Popocatépetl is to the left and Iztaccíhuatl to the right.  The later appears to have a bit of snow on its peak.  

Because of air pollution, the two volcanoes are only occasionally visible from Mexico City.  However, Puebla, on the other side of the mountains, long afforded a better view.  Back in 1973, I attended school in Cholula, on the outskirts of Puebla, and every day there was a magnificent view of the two peaks.  Nowadays, however, Puebla has its share of air pollution also, and it is no longer a sure bet that you will have a crystal clear view of Popo and Izta from there.  

But yesterday morning, the webcam showed this dramatic view.

I don't think believe I have ever shared with you the legend of the two volcanoes.  That will be the topic of my next post. 


No comments:

Post a Comment