city at night

city at night

Thursday, June 25, 2020

Progress

I wrote earlier that I am having new siding put on my house,  It has been a slow process since there is only one guy, Mike, on the project along with his assistant, a high school student.  In the first two weeks they took off the old siding, and put on new insulation and new soffits.  Because the insulation was thicker than what I had before, they also had to frame the windows and doors to make everything even.  

Last Friday the assistant called in sick, because he had a fever.  Obviously both Mike and I were concerned.  The assistant called to say that he had taken the test for the coronavirus and was waiting for the results.  Monday and Tuesday were both rainy days, so no one showed up to work.  Yesterday Mike arrived bright and early.  His assistant had tested negative, thank goodness... a big relief to both of us.  However, the doctor said that he should take another day off from work.

I had some errands to run, including my first trip to the bank since the pandemic started.  My nearby branch has been closed... even the drive-through window... since late March.  The nearest branch that had a drive-through window open is about five miles away.  To be honest, I had never in my life used a drive-through window at the bank.  I was a little concerned whether I would know how to use it if it were one of these new-fangled setups with pneumatic tubes in which you place your deposit.  Fortunately, it was old-school... an actual window with a teller.  However, the line up of cars was very long.  It waited fifty minutes in line!

When I finally got home, I was surprised to see that there was an additional guy from the company, and that they had finally begun work on the siding!  By the end of the day they had done the side of the garage and much of the back of the house.




This morning the assistant has returned to work.  I suspect that they will still be working all of next week.  After the siding is completed they still have to put up new gutters and downspouts.

No comments:

Post a Comment