city at night

city at night

Thursday, July 19, 2018

Ecoducto

I have already reported twice on the "Ecoducto", the pedestrian and bike path that was recently created along the middle of the "Viaducto", a busy expressway to the south of the city center.


On Wednesday I walked a short portion of the "Ecoducto" off of Insurgentes Avenue close to my apartment.  I am pleased to report that the gardens on either side of the pathway continue to be well maintained.  


The vines that were planted along the fences are beginning to take hold, and before long the freeway should be hidden from sight.  (Of course you will still hear the traffic.)



At the Insurgentes entrance to the "Ecoducto" I noticed something new.  At first glance I thought that it was an abstract, metal sculpture.


But on closer inspection, I realized that it is a topographic map of the Valley of Mexico, the basin in which Mexico City is located.  The hole in the metal represents the lake system which, before the arrival of the Spaniards, covered a sizeable portion of the valley.



No comments:

Post a Comment