city at night

city at night

Tuesday, July 3, 2018

Day Lilies and Other Blossoms

My garden is always at its height in July.  By August many of the plants are past their prime and are no longer blooming.  Fortunately, I am here for another eleven days before leaving for Mexico, so I am able to enjoy my garden at its best for a while.

I have lots of day lilies, one of the easiest perennials to grow.  The different varieties are now starting to bloom.





Many other flowers are now in bloom.  Here are a few...



purple loosestrife...






astilbe…





Shasta daisies...






filipendula…




achillea or yarrow...

(Here is some interesting trivia.  The plant is named after the Greek mythological hero Achilles.  Achilles' soldiers according to legend would use this plant to treat their wounds.)





and clematis.

(There are many varieties of clematis.  This one is called "Polish Spirit" because it was first bred by a Polish monk in Warsaw.  Many clematis bloom only once, but this one will rebloom throughout the summer.  It's a bit like Poland... throughout history it has disappeared from the map only to reappear again.) 

2 comments:

  1. LOVE daylilies. I used to have zillions of them in Texas but have not been able to get them to grow here, sadly.
    All your flowers are absolutely gorgeous. ENJOY!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How apt that you have "Polish Spirit" clematis. I have Blue Fin Irises and Elijah Blue Fescue after 2 of my grandsons. I think I may be out of luck finding a plant for Abel(Abe). Felinski acres is a gorgeous garden!

    ReplyDelete