from airplane

from airplane

Wednesday, January 27, 2016

The Shopping List

I thought that perhaps my readers, especially the ones who do not live in Mexico, would be interested in how much groceries here cost.


A couple days ago I went to Sumesa, the grocery store a couple blocks from my apartment, to pick up a few items.  Here is what they cost in dollars, using an exchange rate of 18 pesos to the dollar.

Roll of paper towels (180 sheets) - 80 cents
2 liter bottle of water - 64 cents
1 liter container (approx. 1 quart) of orange juice - 98 cents
1 liter container of skim milk - 84 cents
1 dozen eggs - $1.10
400 grams (14 ounces) of "asadero" cheese - $2.47 

Yesterday I went to the "tianguis" (open air market) that is held each Tuesday in the neighborhood.  I'll usually go there, instead of the supermarket, to buy fruits and vegetables.



These were the prices that I found there...

white potatoes - 37 cents per pound
Roma tomatoes - 75 cents per pound
white onions - 50 cents per pound
avocados - $1.00 per pound
bananas - 37 cents per pound 

I would expect that prices are higher in Mexico City than in smaller cities in the country.  Prices might also be higher in my part of the city, since it is a more affluent neighborhood.

So, how do the prices compare to where you live?

No comments:

Post a Comment