city at night

city at night

Friday, January 15, 2016

The Quest for a Breakfast Place

During my time in Mérida I was searching for a good place for breakfast.  My favorite place, a charming, little café across the street from Hotel Luz en Yucatán has changed hands and is now a Middle Eastern restaurant.  Café La Habana, which I always liked for its traditional atmosphere and its "huevos motuleños", didn't seem as good this time around.

I started trying new places for breakfast.  Frank and I tried out Cafetería Pop, a place that's mentioned in all the guidebooks.  It wasn't bad, but it wasn't great either.  Then we went to a place called Dos Toros Yucatecos, located across the street from Café La Habana.  Frank's breakfast was OK, but mine was terrible!  I had "chilaquiles".  Not only were they totally lacking in flavor, but they were cold!

Finally, we found a place not far from the house.  It's called Café Montejo, and it's located on Calle 59 close to the Plaza de Santiago.  We went there twice, and I went by myself again this morning.  They have a very good selection of hearty, Mexican breakfasts.

There are tables out on the street, as well as indoor seating, but we always ate in the pretty courtyard.


One the dishes which I had was "huevos divorciados" (divorced eggs).  Two eggs are served on tortillas.  One egg is covered in green sauce, the other in red sauce. 


On all my visits I had a very tasty meal.  I will say that this is not the place for a quick breakfast.  Everything is freshly made, and you will wait a little while.  Just sit back with your coffee and enjoy the atmosphere.  After all, this is Mexico, where meals are supposed to be leisurely.

While you are there, you will likely see a fellow coming through with baskets of fresh baked goods.  Be sure to go to the front and pick out a couple.  They are prepared daily by a local university student.





A piping hot cinnamon roll and a flaky, chocolate-filled pastry.  Scrumptious!

The café has been in operation for about a year.  During the afternoon and evening they serve snacks and light meals.  I do not doubt that those are as delicious as the breakfasts.

The owner, Fernando, is jovial and personable and chats with his customers.


  
If you are in the Santiago neighborhood of Mérida, I highly recommend Café Montejo!

Tomorrow I say good-bye to Mérida.  In the afternoon I fly to Mexico City.

No comments:

Post a Comment