from airplane

from airplane

Sunday, January 31, 2016

"Chivitos" and Other Tasty Things

A few days ago I wrote a post about some of the stores and restaurants located close to the apartment where in am staying.  One of the places that I mentioned was a little restaurant whose sign advertised hamburgers and "chivitos".  I assumed that "chivito" was made from goat meat since "chivo" means goat.  I then did a bit of research and discovered that a "chivito" is a popular Uruguayan sandwich which contains lots of yummy ingredients but no goat meat.

Alejandro and I decided to try the place for supper one evening... and it was so good that we made a return visit last night.  The restaurant is called "El Orujo".  It has been there for over fifteen years, which speaks well for the quality of their food.  I have no idea how I have missed it for so long.  On my last several trips to Mexico City, I have been staying at the same apartment just a stone's throw away from the restaurant.

On our first visit we both had to try the "chivitos".


 As you can see from the photo, it's a big sandwich on a bun.  It's a bit messy to eat, but it is delicious.  It contains a thin slice of steak, ham, bacon, mozzarella cheese, lettuce, tomato, and mayonnaise.  Not exactly healthy eating, but it was very yummy.

Last night we shared an appetizer of Argentinian sausage on bread, and then we tried a couple of their pasta dishes.  Alejandro was very happy with his spaghetti in "pomadero" sauce, and my spaghetti with mushrooms and chipotle cream sauce was very good.

We finished by sharing a dessert of "alfajores"... a traditional treat from Argentina and Uruguay.  It consists of a stack of several cookies with a creamy filling in between them.  It is covered with powdered sugar and served with "dulce de leche" (caramelized sweetened condensed milk) to the side.  Wow!

I am sure that we will return to "El Orujo" again! 


No comments:

Post a Comment