volcanoes

volcanoes

Tuesday, September 24, 2024

On to Switzerland

I have fallen behind on telling the story of my European trip.  I would really need to post twice a day to keep up, but I have barely had time to write one blog entry per day.  Last Tuesday, I left Germany and went on to my primary destination, Switzerland.  Early that morning I finished packing my bags, and I checked out of the hotel.  I rolled my suitcase (which after buying some souvenirs in Germany was packed to capacity) across the street to the train station.  My train was scheduled to leave at 7:52 A.M., but I was there early enough to have some breakfast at one of the stands in the station.  I must say that the "fast food" in Europe... pre-packaged sandwiches, and a wide variety of baked goods... are far superior to what you would find in the U.S.

I found the track for my train, and no delays were listed on the board.  The route was operated by the Swiss railway company rather than the German "Deutsche Bahn".  It not only stopped in Basel and Zurich, Switzerland, but it was to continue on to the main station in Milan, Italy.



At 7:35 the train rolled into the station.  I found a rack on which to store my large suitcase, and went to my reserved seat.  I settled back to enjoy a relaxing four hour rail ride to Zurich.



As we traveled closer to the Swiss border, at each stop the conductor made announcements that I was struggling to understand.  The announcements were given in German, Italian and English, but his English was not very clear.  It sounded as if we would have to change trains.  Was he talking about everyone, or just those with certain destinations?  It was supposed to be a direct train to Zurich.  When we got to Basel, I finally got the message, and it was the German that I understood.  "Der Zug endet hier." The train ends here.  I have no idea why, but we all had to get off the train, and board another one at the next track.  As everyone was getting off, I had to make my way to the luggage rack to get my suitcase.  It was very chaotic.  Equally chaotic was trying to find a seat.  I had a reserved seat on the first train, but did that reservation apply to the new train?  I couldn't find a space on a luggage rack, so I just set my suitcase next to it.  I figured as long as if didn't block the aisle, it was OK.  I then sat in an empty seat nearby and hoped that no one would come and say that it was their reserved seat.

I was able to stay in that seat.  As we traveled across Switzerland, we passed Othmarsingen, the village from which my ancestors came, and I spotted the spire of the church where my great-grandmother and generations before her were baptized.

In spite of changing trains, we arrived at Zurich's main train station close to schedule.  From there I had to take another train to Uster, about 13 miles away, where my cousin Brigitta lives.  I did not feel confident using the ticket machines, so I went to the "Reisezentrum" (Travel Center) to purchase my ticket.  The young lady at the desk was very helpful.  The ticket, if I remember correctly, cost about 11 Swiss francs (13 US dollars).  I was going to pay in cash, since I had some currency left over from my last trip to Switzerland  However, I had to pay with a credit card, because the Swiss banknotes that I had were already outdated after only five years.  (I was later able to exchange my outdated money at a bank for the current bills.)

My train ticket was good for two hours, so I did not have to rush to the track downstairs where the trains for Uster leave.  While waiting on the platform I called my cousin to let her know that I was on my way.  When I arrived, she and her husband Peter were waiting for me, and they drove me to their home on the edge of town.

The first thing I did was unpack the presents that I had brought them from Mexico.

I had purchased a guayabera shirt for Peter.  It fit perfectly, and he really liked it.



For Brigitta I had bought a "rebozo" (a Mexican shawl) in her favorite color.  I had purchased it at a museum shop in Mexico City.  It was hand woven on a backstrap loom, and each "rebozo" takes a month to create.  I wanted to get her something really special, since I was going to be their guest for the next four nights.  Brigitta loved her gift.


Brigitta and Peter's home is a beautiful house located on a hill.  From the last bus stop in Uster, it's a short hike up a gravel road, that just beyond their house becomes a hiking path with no vehicles allowed.



In one direction, you look down on the city of Uster.  You can see the Schloss Uster, a small castle which dates back to the 1200s.



In the other direction, when the sky is clear, you can see the Alps on the horizon.  It was not until my last morning with Brigitta and Peter that I was able to vaguely see the mountains in the distance.





  At night a full moon lit up the sky.



Twilight in Uster



No comments:

Post a Comment