Independence Day

Independence Day

Tuesday, September 17, 2024

Gothic Splendor

As I mentioned in my last post, my primary reason for visiting Cologne was to see its magnificent Gothic cathedral.  The cathedral was begun in 1248, but work was halted in the 1560s due to lack of funds.  Work was resumed in the 1800s, and the cathedral was completed in 1880.  It is a UNESCO World Heritage Site, and with around 6 million visitors per year, it is the most visited landmark in Germany.  On Saturday, I was one of those many visitors.

The church is located next door to the train station, so as soon as I got off of the train, I went immediately to the cathedral.



The twin spires measure 515 feet in height, making the cathedral of Cologne the second tallest church in Europe.  



There are hundreds of sculptures decorating the exterior.  Some of them were not carved until the 19th century.






The beautiful stained glass windows range in age from the 15th century to the 21st century.






This altarpiece, created around 1360, is one of the earliest examples of altar building in Cologne.




This altarpiece, painted in 1445, portrays the city's patron saints.  The Three Wise Men are in the center panel paying homage to the baby Jesus.  St. Ursula is to the left and St. Gereon is to the right.




The ornately carved wooden choir stalls



The Cathedral's most famous treasure is the reliquary which supposedly holds the remains of the Three Wise Men.  Emperor Frederick Barbarossa presented the Archbishop of Cologne with the bones of the Magi.  The most celebrated goldsmith of medieval times was commissioned to create the shrine for the relics.



The cathedral of Cologne was one of the most impressive cathedrals that I have ever seen, surpassing, in my opinion, Notre Dame in Paris.



2 comments:

  1. Wow! I read Ken Follett's book on the building of churches in around 1055. Each time I have visited an old church I have sat in stunned silence imagining how difficult it was without mechanical equipment to create those structures. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am reading one of Ken Follet's more recent books, "A Column of Fire right now. Yes, the medieval churches are amazing.

      Delete