volcanoes

volcanoes

Monday, September 30, 2024

Am I Still in Europe?

Forgive me for jumping back and forth between the narrative of my trip to Europe and what is going on now in Mexico.  On Saturday evening, when I returned home, I really wasn't hungry since they had served two meals on the flight.  However, Alejandro had not eaten, so after we returned to the apartment, we went out to a nearby restaurant.  Where did we go?  To the "Fondue Haus".  So, having just returned from Switzerland, I had another Swiss meal.


 

Then yesterday, Alejandro wanted to go to City Market, an upscale supermarket with a branch not too far from the apartment.  The store had been advertising an "Oktoberfest" event featuring products from Germany.  So, we put on our raincoats and took our umbrellas and walked through the rain about twenty minutes to the store.

Throughout the store there were displays that had a German flag and a sign saying, "Guten Tag. Enjoy the best of Germany."


Some of the products were imported from Germany, others were German-style foods made in Mexico.  For example, this case featured imported German cheeses and German cold cuts made by a Mexican brand.



The in-store bakery made all sorts of German cakes, pastries and breads.



When Alejandro and I make an occasional visit to City Market, we usually indulge in some gelato at their café.  This time, they had a number of flavors inspired by German desserts, such as Sacher torte, Black Forest cake, and Stollen.


Needless to say, we had to try out some of the German flavors.



I purchased a number of items while we were at City Market... most of them imported from Germany.  I brought home two jars of sauerkraut, a loaf of bread made in their bakery, a bag of wide egg noodles (something I have never been able to find in Mexico), and a bag of spätzle.


(In case Helen, the wife of my Swiss cousin Walter, reads this...  "Yes, Helen, I do intend to use the spätzle maker that you gave me while I was visiting.  I bought the bag of spätzle for when I don't feel like making home-made.")

No comments:

Post a Comment