Independence Day

Independence Day

Monday, September 16, 2024

On the Rails

The last time that I was in Germany, in 2019, I had taken a couple of short excursions by train from Munich, and I had no problems.  However, I heard from several people that in recent years, the Deutsche Bahn (German Railways) was no longer the model of German efficiency and punctuality that it used to be.  In fact, when I told my Swiss cousin Brigitta that I would be traveling from Frankfurt to Zurich by train, she suggested that I fly instead.

So, it was with a little bit of trepidation that I took my first rail excursion of this trip last Saturday.  I had a reservation to travel to Cologne on the ICE (the high speed intercity express).  Although Cologne is 118 miles away from Frankfurt, the train ride is only (knock on wood) a little over an hour.

My train was scheduled to leave at 8:16 A.M., but I left the hotel and crossed the street to the train station well before that.  I found the track from which my train would depart... track number 19.


My train, ICE 316, was already listed on the sign.  I did not realize that its final destination was Brussels, Belgium (Bruxelles in French).  If you look closely at the sign, you notice that the German spelling for Cologne is Köln.  An abbreviation that you frequently see on train schedules is "Hbf".  That stands for "Hauptbanhof" (main train station).  My seat was in car 25.  So, according to the sign, I should board at section B of the platform.



On the neighboring track there was an ICE train that was bound for Paris.



There was no need to worry about delays, because my ICE train rolled into the station right on time.



My ticket was for second class, but it was perfectly fine, definitely more comfortable than economy class in an airplane.


For a small fee you can reserve a specific seat.  If the train should be crowded, there is the possibility that you might have to stand for the entire trip.  (Although, so far, I have not seen that happen.)  There is a light either above the seat or on the side of the seat which indicates that the seat is reserved.  The light showed that I had reserved seat #48 by the window from Frankfurt to Cologne.



My train had a dining car, but since I had eaten breakfast at the station, I did not investigate what they offered or if the food is good.



When I went to the restroom ("toiletten" or WC) I saw something I had never seen before... touchless flushing.  Just wave your hand near the button, and the toilet flushes.




We left the Frankfurt station right on time.




Passing through the outskirts of Frankfurt




Announcements are given whenever the train is approaching a stop.  On this route they gave the announcements in German, English and French.  There are also signs in each car which tell you the next stop and when you will arrive.  Here you see that we were going to arrive in Cologne in 23 minutes, one minute late.  A terrible delay!  The sign will also tell you occasionally the speed of the train at that moment.  We were zipping along at 245 kilometers per hour...  that's 152 mph.!



Zooming across the German countryside



I got off at the Cologne station.  You don't want to tarry in getting your belongings together, because the train only stops for a few minutes at each station.  Here I am filming the train as it continues on its way to Brussels.



I looked out through the glass roof of the train station, and I saw the main reason I wanted to visit the city.  There it was... the impressive Gothic cathedral of Cologne.




No comments:

Post a Comment