Independence Day

Independence Day

Monday, September 9, 2024

New on the Wall

 When we were in San Miguel de Allende, believe it or not, I had no intention of buying any handicrafts.  Even though there are plenty of shops and galleries in San Miguel, being a tourist-oriented town, the prices tend to be high.  Besides, Mexico City has such wide variety of handicrafts and folk art from all over the country.

Then, on our last morning in San Miguel, we had breakfast at a food stand in the market.  Walking through the market after breakfast, there was an entire aisle at one side devoted to handicrafts.  I was still not going to buy anything, but one stall caught my eye.  There was a wide variety of metal wall hangings in a style which I had not seen before.  I asked the owner if they were made in San Miguel, and he pointed to himself.  He had made all of them.

I have been looking for something to hang on the wall of the balcony of my apartment (which is glassed-in and protected from the elements).  In spite of my plan to buy nothing, I saw a man-in- the-moon sculpture that I liked, and I bought it.  I don't remember the price, but for the work and creativity that went into it, it was not expensive.  So, now it is hanging on the wall of my balcony.



2 comments:

  1. Great choice. The old fabric mill when it closed here was turned into the most amazing place of artist galleries, restaurants, etc. Not far from where you were staying! If you ever come back, you would enjoy it very much, I think. Sadly, I am not doing well. I had a bad fall on Wednesday and am still bruised. Getting old is not fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you are on the mend. Be careful and take care!

      Delete