zocalo

zocalo

Sunday, February 11, 2024

In Financial News...

Passing by a newsstand, I saw on the front page of a Mexico City newspaper a story that I had heard on the radio.


In 2023, Mexico surpassed China as the number one exporter of goods to the United States. For 21 years the U.S. imported more from China than from any other country.  But last year Mexican exports rose 4.6% while China sold 20% less to the U.S.

Hurrah!  For years I have tried, whenever I can, not to buy anything made in China.  If I'm shopping for clothes, if it's made in China, I put it back on the rack.  A couple years ago I needed to buy a new blender.  Everything on the store shelf was made in China... except for the Oster, the brand my mother had for decades.  Made in Mexico!  Sold!  That blender in now sitting in the kitchen in my apartment in Mexico City.

Here in Mexico, there is plenty of merchandise in the stores that is made in China.  Alejandro is like I am.  He looks to see where a product is made, and if it is from China, it goes back on the shelf.  We are always pleased when we see items "hecho en México¨.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment