zocalo

zocalo

Friday, February 23, 2024

An Addition to the Library

 Alejandro and I have been watching a French series on Netflix called "Lupin".  Even though mystery thrillers are not generally my favorite, this series has been addictive.  The protagonist, Assane Diop, is an immigrant from Senegal living in Paris.  In order to avenge the death of his father, Assane becomes a thief and master of disguises.  The inspiration for his escapades comes from a book that his father had given him as a child... the adventures of the fictional gentleman thief and detective Arsene Lupin (hence the name of the series).  Arsene Lupin was indeed the hero of a series of short stories and novels that were written in the early 1900s by the French writer Maurice Leblanc.  The character has sometimes been called the French counterpart of Sherlock Holmes.

A while ago, Alejandro and I were at a bookstore / café called "El Péndulo".  I was browsing the section of books in English, and, lo and behold, I found a collection of Arsene Lupin short stories in translation.  Of course, I had to buy it to add to my personal library.



You may remember that on my trips to Mexico, prior to the final move, I had been packing a a number of books in my suitcases each time, so that I would have a good supply of reading material here at the apartment.  By the time I made the move, I had 70 books, enough to last me for quite a while.  Well, I need not have worried because I have found that "El Péndulo" has quite a large selection of English language books.

No comments:

Post a Comment