zocalo

zocalo

Saturday, February 17, 2024

Getting What I Want

 If you have been reading this blog since my move to Mexico, you know that I have searching unsuccessfully for a piece of furniture for my apartment.  In the living / dining room area there are a modern dining set in black lacquer and glass and a black lacquer china cabinet.  In the same area is an antique style half-moon table with an antique style mirror above it.  I have already moved the mirror to the guest bedroom and replaced it with a modern mirror with a black frame that I had shipped from my old home.  I also had a black storage cabinet for my DVDs and CDs shipped down.  So, that antique-style table looks out of place with the rest of the modern furniture.  I have been looking and looking for a piece of furniture, I guess you would call it a credenza or console, to replace it.  I have not been able to find anything in black in the correct measurement.  I had decided that I was going to have to have the piece custom-made.  

Earlier, on one of my one walks around Alejandro's neighborhood, I found a little workshop where furniture is made.


I had drawn up a sketch of what I wanted with the measurements.  Yesterday, I took that sketch and went over to the workshop.  There I immediately saw a piece of furniture that was almost what I was looking for.  It was simple and modern in style, made of solid wood, with two shelves.  I asked the fellow there if he could make a similar piece in black (the one that was there was chocolate brown) and slightly shorter in length and taller in height.  He said, "Sí".  He kept my sketch for the measurements.  He said that he would have it done in a week.  The cost is 4000 pesos... that's about 235 U.S. dollars.  If I were able to find anything similar in a department or furniture store here, I am sure it would cost more than that.  And obviously, something equivalent would cost much more in the United States.

I'm thinking that I might go back in the future and have another piece made... a long, narrow table to put in front of the living room window (the window takes up one entire wall) on which I could place houseplants. 

No comments:

Post a Comment