flowers

flowers

Sunday, June 18, 2023

Welcome to Mexico City

If you have been reading my blog over the years, you may remember my former student, Meredith.  A few years ago, she and her husband Chuck traveled to Mérida, Yucatán, and I had the pleasure of showing them the sights.

Meredith's sister Megan was also one my students, and yesterday she and her husband John arrived in Mexico City for a week's stay.  When Megan realized that I am currently down here, she wrote saying that she hoped that we could get together. Of course, I was thrilled by the prospect.  I had not seen Megan since she graduated from high school.  Alejandro and I went to the airport to pick them up and to take them to the Airbnb where they are staying.


After they had a chance to get settled into their accommodations, we went back for them and drove to our favorite restaurant, Angelopolitano.  Again, it you are a regular reader of this blog, you know that Angelopolitano serves top-notch traditional cuisine, mostly dishes from the state of Puebla. Megan and John are both eager to try the wonderful food that this city has to offer, and I thought that Angelopolitano would be a great place for a "welcome to Mexico City" dinner.


I had told Megan about one of the restaurant's specialties... "chile en nogada", a poblano pepper stuffed with meat, fruit and nuts, covered in a walnut cream sauce and sprinkled with pomegranate seeds.  They were eager to try it.  But I also told them that the restaurant serves excellent "mole poblano", another iconic Mexican dish.  So, the waitress split an order of "mole" and served it on two plates, and also brought a "chile en nogada" for them to share.




 I think that they were duly impressed by both of these classic Mexican dishes.

Then they saw the extensive dessert menu and couldn't make up their minds.  So. we each ordered a different dessert, and we had a taste of each of them.



It was a wonderful meal with great company!

I won't be playing "tour guide" for Megan and John for their entire trip since they have some friends that will be joining them later in the week, and they already have some activities planned.  Today, Alejandro and I have to stay at home since it is Father's Day.  However, on Monday, I will be taking them to one of my favorite places in Mexico City.

I hope that Megan and John someday make another trip here so that I can give them the full tour.  And Meredith (I'm sure you're reading this), Alejandro and I are looking forward to seeing you and Chuck in Mexico City in the future!


2 comments:

  1. Yay! I'm glad Megan and John arrived safely and that you were all able to get together. And yes, Chuck and I look forward to coming back to Mexico soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had a great time last night!
      Meredith and Chuck, your tour guide awaits you in CDMX.

      Delete