from airplane

from airplane

Friday, June 16, 2023

Hot Weather Cooking

When I stay with Alejandro and his family at their home, I usually try to give Alejandro and his sister a break from cooking and prepare something for the family.  Earlier this week, because of the predicted heat wave, I decided to make a cold macaroni salad.  After looking at several recipes online, I came up with my own version.  I did all the cooking... the elbow macaroni, a package of frozen peas and carrots and a package of frozen broccoli... in the morning while the temperature was still relatively comfortable.  I let that cool off and then put it in the refrigerator.  Later I added a package of cooked, shredded chicken, and a couple of avocados cut into chunks.  I made a dressing from mayonnaise and Mexican "crema" (similar to sour cream).  I squeezed the juice of a lime into the dressing and added a dollop of chipotle sauce.


I had a BIG bowl of salad!

It tasted OK, but (I'm my own worst critic) I wasn't particularly impressed.  Alejandro's sister brought out a package of "tostadas"... crunchy, fried tortillas.  We spooned the macaroni salad onto the tostadas, and added a little more chipotle sauce.  The macaroni salad "tostadas" were delicious!  Alejandro's nephew took three helpings to make "tostadas", and his sister took some to work.  We still had a little left over which Alejandro, his dad and I had for breakfast.

2 comments:

  1. This looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, it was so much better when we "Mexicanized" it (is there such a word?) into a topping for "tostadas".

    ReplyDelete