flowers

flowers

Wednesday, June 14, 2023

Corn on the Cob

A very popular snack in Mexico is "elote", corn on the cob.  The word "elote" comes from the Aztec work "elotitutl" which means "tender corn". You often see vendors on the streets or in the markets selling corn from large kettles of boiling water.  Surprisingly, I had never had an "elote" in Mexico.  Last weekend, when Alejandro went to the "tianguis" (outdoor market), he brought some home.

"Elotes" are not really like our "sweet corn" which has been bred for its sweetness and tenderness.  Most people from the U.S. would just consider it "field corn".  The first cob that I ate was rather tough, but the manner in which it is served made it very tasty.


The corn is slathered with mayonaise and sprinkled with powdered "chile".  (A popular condiment in Mexico is a commercial product called "Tajín", which is powdered "chile" pepper with salt and lime flavoring.)

(image taken from the internet)


Some people squeeze fresh lime juice over the corn or put grated cheese on it.  

A couple days ago when we went to the supermarket, I bought a bottle of "Tajín".  I know that it is available in the United States, but I haven't seen it at the store where I shop.  So, when I return to the U.S. I will get a jar of mayonaise and some sweet corn and prepare some Mexican style "elotes"!

2 comments:

  1. I frequently see it at the Walmart in Brooklyn on Brookpark. In fact, I almost bought some yesterday. They had it with the cut pineapple.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I know it is available in the U.S., but they don't have it at Marcs where I usually do my grocery shopping.

      Delete