flowers

flowers

Friday, November 12, 2021

Walking to the Tower

 I have mentioned the Torre Mitikah, the skyscraper that upon completion this year will rank as Mexico City's tallest building.  Actually, since the structure is currently architecturally topped out, I suppose you could say that it is now the tallest in the city.  I have caught tantalizing glimpses of the tower at a distance from various places, and I wondered if I could walk there to take a closer look.  According to Google maps, it is a one hour walk of about three miles from my apartment.  I thought, "I can do that."  The suggested route took a lot of turns rather than going straight down Insurgentes Avenue most of the way.  But it would take me through some areas that I had not seen before, so I jotted down the directions.

Yesterday morning at about eleven o'clock in the morning I set out on my hike.  I left the apartment, passed the World Trade Center and headed down busy Insurgentes.




I didn't stay on Insurgentes for long however.  The Google Map instructions had me turn to the left onto Santa Catalina.  It was a quiet, affluent residential street with some lovely homes.






Even though it was a rather ritzy neighborhood, there was still a "tianguis", a weekly, street market, going on.



In a small green space there was a monument to Ricardo López Mendéz, a poet, song lyricist and pioneer radio broadcaster.



After a couple of turns I came to Patricio Sanz Avenue, a street which I was going to follow for quite a few blocks.  This neighborhood is not as elegant, but still perfectly respectable.



This restaurant caught my eye.  From its name it obviously serves Yucatecan cuisine.  I later looked it up, and it gets great reviews for serving inexpensive but delicious food from Yucatán.



Farther down the street was another interesting restaurant, this one specializing in Chilean food.  It gets very good reviews also, especially for its "empanadas", meat-filled turnovers.


I kept walking and did not give into temptation to have lunch at either place, but perhaps on a future trip I will give them a try.

I turned onto a street called José María Rico, and I got my first glimpse of the Torre Mitikah.



A couple more turns and the tower loomed larger.  It's not far now.


To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment