city at night

city at night

Sunday, September 13, 2020

Out with the Old, In with the New

 Earlier this summer, I wrote that my "alma mater", the high school from which I graduated fifty years ago, was going to be torn down, and that a new school was being built.  While driving around town, I noticed that demolition had finally begun.  So yesterday I decided to get some exercise and walk the two miles to take some pictures before my high school was completely gone.

Berea High School, known as Berea-Midpark High School since the merger of the district's two schools, has stood on this site since 1928.  I graduated from here, and years before my mother graduated from here.  It feels as if a piece of family history is being demolished.

How many times I had passed through that entrance which is now a gaping hole!

I previously wrote about the sculpture "The Tree of Knowledge" which was commissioned for the façade of the wing which was added in 1967.  The sculpture has been removed and put in storage until the Board of Education decides what to do with it.


 

The eastern wing of the building, where the science classrooms, the gymnasium and the swimming pool were, is completely gone.





The demolition has revealed some of the beautiful decorative work of the original 1928 building which had been hidden by later additions.




Behind the old building, stands the new high school.







Looking through the windows I could see that the furniture and teaching materials were inside.


Obviously this will be the biology classroom.


Through an upper story window I could see the rear of an upright piano, so that will most likely be the music room.

However, it's apparent that not all of the classrooms are ready.  In fact there are some interior spaces in which construction is still going on.




That answered my question.  The Berea School District is continuing with virtual, on-line instruction for at least the beginning of this new school year.

We were supposed to have our 50th high school reunion in July, but that was cancelled due to the pandemic.  Our reunion was supposed to have included a final tour of our "alma mater".  We have rescheduled our reunion for 2021... if Covid19 allows us.  I wonder if we will be given a tour of the new building.

1 comment:

  1. The kids from the three Mi-Bro-Be communities will benefit from this state of the art school. I hope they take advantage of all it will offer, and that it will last for decades.

    ReplyDelete