city at night

city at night

Sunday, September 27, 2020

An Unpleasant Surprise

On Friday evening I was invited by Duffy to his mom's house for wine and cheese.  It was a small outdoor gathering of high school classmates (there were just seven of us).   It was warm enough that even after sunset we were comfortable sitting outside.  

It was a pleasant get-together, but when I returned home a less than pleasant surprise awaited me.  My garage door would not open.  I left the car parked in the driveway, went into the house, and entered the garage through the kitchen.  I saw what the problem was.  A cable on one side of the door had snapped, and the spring was dangling.  


On Saturday morning I called a garage door repair company, but they will not get back to me until Monday.  I guess I am rather lucky that the cable snapped when I closed the door AFTER leaving the garage.  Otherwise, my car would have been stuck inside.  I would not have been able to go to the get-together or anywhere else this weekend.


2 comments:

  1. At our old house once, where the garage was detached from the house, the garage door opener wouldn't open, and I had to go to work. I put it on manual, pulled up and felt a strain in my back. I was pregnant at the time, and realized how I could have caused the two of us a real problem by doing that, but Zack is alive and well so we were lucky.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I suppose that I could pull the cord that detaches the door from the automatic opener, but the car is OK sitting outside for a few days.

      Delete